I often check on forums from my workplace, which on a VPN. I have had annoying behavior for the past couple of years when posting to a forum. Here's the list of issues I get:
1) Auto logout happens fairly quickly (under 1 hour)
I think this may because my IP is moving around due to the VPN.
2) When I post, I get:
"No post mode specified"
I hit the back key and resubmit until I get...
3) When I post I get:
"Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.xr57"
4) When I post -again- it works.
It is frustrating to spend a minute reloading and reposting. Sometimes I don't catch that the post didn't take and I think I've replied when I haven't. Any advice?
P.S. After submitting this post, I left this tab with the browser working. Came back 2 hours later to see my post hadn't gone through!
I can definitely see how that would be frustrating! It sounds like you're running through the gauntlet of errors, each of which is causing the next one. From what I understand, here is what is happening:
1) You are logged out of your account (possibly due to the VPN configuration at your office - I'll talk to the developers about that in the morning and see if there's something we can do on our end about it);
2) Since the logout doesn't show until refresh, you click submit on the post you were working on, which then fails because you aren't logged in;
3) You log back in and submit the post again, but it's posting on the session from your last login and failing again.
As far as how to mitigate that, I'll dig into it further on our end and talk to the dev team to see if there's a dev-side solution, but in the meantime, copy the content of the post you're making before you submit and refresh the page if you've been away from the forums awhile (half an hour-ish?) - it's not an ideal fix, but that way you can see if you're logged in, it will refresh the session and you'll only have to go through two page loads instead of multiple ones. :)