A few weeks ago, Valve completely bombed their Dota 2 Shanghai Majors. You’ve probably heard about all of it by now — but in case you haven’t, here’s a quick rundown:
- Fired a beloved community caster in the middle of the event
- Let their CEO openly call aforementioned caster an “ass” on Reddit
- Multiple sound failures in-game and during player interviews
- Repeated game delays, some as long as an hour and a half
- Game freezes and a plethora of other technical issues
- Poor camera work
- Covering team fights and critical moments via replays
The list could go on.
But the question is….what exactly went wrong? How does a multi-million dollar tournament get screwed up that badly? And how can Valve (and other companies) avoid this kind of spectacle in the future?